Reproduction of the “Great S-spiral frieze” fresco, 1200 BC
Excavated 1884 west of the Great Forecourt of the Tiryns palace.
Ornamental spiral friezes have a long history in Minoan art. The version seen here with alternating up-and-down spirals and fan-shaped papyrus lotus blossoms became the favored ornate band frieze used to decorate most of the Mycenaean palaces. It has been suggested that the wide distribution of such a complicated pattern supports the idea of a traveling guild of fresco painters operating on the Mycenaean mainland. E. Gillieron, pere was hired in 1910-1912 by the Germans excavating at Tiryns to assist with the reconstruction of the many fresco fragments found at the site.
The original is in the National Archaeological Museum, Athens.